Since pioneers of the Church of Latter Day Saints arrived in the valley of the Great Salt Lake in the 1840s, they were drawn to the Lake for the purposes of taking a refreshing dip. It wasn’t long before bathing resorts sprung up to cater to the bathers. The most famous, Saltair, first opened its doors in 1893, and was jointly owned by the LDS church and the Salt Lake & Los Angeles Railway. It was designed by the Utah architect Richard Kletting, and some of the 2,000 pilings and posts that it rested on are still visible. Saltair contributed to the early history of amusement parks, intended as a western version of the popular Coney Island. The church sold the resort in 1906. In 1925 the original pavilion was destroyed by fire. The resort was rebuilt, but it didn’t achieve the same success as the original incarnation; new technologies such as motion pictures and radio kept people amused closer to home, in addition to the dampening effect of the Great Depression. Saltair II’s new dancefloor was the largest in the world at the time, and the amusement and bathing activities became secondary to dancing and traveling bands. Two arson-lit fires in 1967 and 1970 destroyed the structure, which, by then, had seen better times. A third manifestation of Saltair was built in 1981, out of a salvaged aircraft hangar from Hill Air Force Base, about a mile west of the original. Saltair’s biggest competition came from the Garfield Beach Bathing Resort, in addition to Lake Side, Lake Point, and the short-lived resort at Black Rock. The Garfield Beach resort began in 1881, was purchased by the Utah and Nevada Railroad six years later, and by Union Pacific five years after that, with each investing in upgrades and improvements. It was the first resort on the Lake to have an electric generator and lights.